- The main aim of SWAYAM initiative is to provide knowledge to the students.
- It aims to cover the digital divide for students who have until now remained untouched by the digital revolution and have not been able to join the mainstream of the knowledge economy.
- It contains all the subject courses which are taught in classrooms from 9th class till post-graduation to be accessed by anyone, anywhere at any time.
What is offered in SWAYAM
- Courses that are taught in classrooms from 9th class till post-graduation.
- The courses hosted on SWAYAM is in 4 quadrants
- video lecture
- specially prepared reading material that can be downloaded/printed
- self-assessment tests through tests and quizzes and
- an online discussion forum for clearing the doubts.
- Categories of courses include – Engineering, Science, Humanities, Management, Language, Mathematics,Arts and Recreation, Commerce, General, Library, Education.
- Courses delivered through SWAYAM are available free of cost to the learners.
- Students wanting certifications need to register and shall be offered a certificate on successful completion of the course, with a little fee.
- At the end of each course, there will be an assessment of the student through proctored examination and the marks/grades secured in this exam could be transferred to the academic record of the students. UGC has already issued the UGC (Credit Framework for online learning courses through SWAYAM) Regulation 2016 advising the Universities to identify courses where credits can be transferred on to the academic record of the students for courses done on SWAYAM.