Ever Since the government has come into power, a number of schemes have been put forth to benefit those who cannot afford the basic necessities to live a healthy life. One of the recent schemes that have been put forth is the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) Scheme which is meant to benefit those families that are below poverty line when it comes to the provision of clean cooking fuel. This article talks about this scheme in detail.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Milestones
Some of the recent milestones achieved by the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana are:
- The scheme has covered 715 districts across the country.
- In total, 5,41,22,556 LPG connections have been provided by the government under the PMUY scheme.
10 Crore Gas Connections given in 4 years, says Modi
In a speech in New Delhi on Monday, Narendra Modi claimed that 10 crore gas connections were made available to the public as compared to only 13 crore in the 6 previous decades. He also claimed that out of the 10 crore gas connections given by the BJP led government, 45% were made available to Dalits and tribals. In a thinly-veiled attack on the UPA coalition that was in power till 2014, Modi said that his government had distributed 1200 more pumps during their tenure to Dalits. Experts see this as a move by BJP to woo the Dalit community whose support has eluded them till now.
Eligibility for PMUY-
In order to be eligible to receive the benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme, applicants will have to meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must a woman above the age of 18 and a citizen of India
- Applicant should belong to a BPL (Below Poverty Line) household
- No one in the applicant’s household should own an LPG connection
- The household income of the family, per month, must not exceed a certain limit as defined by the government of the Union Territories and State Government.
- The name of the applicant must be in the list of SECC-2011 data and should match with the information available in the BPL database that Oil Marketing Companies have.
- Applicant must not be a recipient of other similar schemes provided by the government.
Steps to apply for PMUY-
Applying for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme is not a very difficult task. Individuals will only have to meet the eligibility criteria and provide all necessary documents.
- Individuals will have to first procure the form which is available at all LPG outlets across the country and online at the PM Ujjwala Yojana website.
- This form will have to be completely filled with details such as Age, Name, Bank Account Details, Aadhaar Card number and so on.
- Required documents must also be attached with the application form.
- Individuals will also have to mention the type of cylinder that they require based on their necessities.
- This filled in form with documents will have to be submitted to the closest LPG outlet.