The Income Tax Department launched its new e-filing portal www.incometax.gov.in on 7th June, 2021. The new website aims to provide convenience and a “modern, seamless experience” to taxpayers. “Dear taxpayer, The Income Tax Department is happy to inform the launch of its new e-filing portal www.incometax.gov.in on 7th June 2021,” the Tax Department had said in messages sent to taxpayers on June 7.
Several glitches on the new e-filing portal have been reported ever since its launch. On June 22, Chartered accountants’ apex body ICAI made presentations on various issues being faced on the new Income Tax e-filing portal during a meeting with finance ministry officials and Infosys representatives. The ministry had organised a meeting to review the glitches and issues related to the new portal.
Along with the launch of the new e-filing portal, the Income Tax Department had also announced it will provide free of cost ITR preparation software for Forms ITR-1, ITR-2 and 4. In a statement,, the Ministry of Finance had said, “Free of cost ITR preparation software available with interactive questions to help taxpayers for ITRs 1, 4 (online and offline) and ITR 2 (offline) to begin with; Facility for preparation of ITRs 3, 5, 6, 7 will be made available shortly.”
New ITR e-filing website link
You can access the new e-filing website at www.incometax.gov.in.
New e-filing portal features and benefits
- Immediate processing of Income Tax Returns (ITRs) to issue quick refunds to taxpayers
- Single dashboard to display all interactions and uploads or pending actions for follow-up action by the taxpayer;
- Taxpayers can proactively update their profile to provide details of income including salary, house property, business/profession which will be used in pre-filling their ITR.
- The detailed enablement of pre-filling with salary income, interest, dividend and capital gains will be available after TDS and SFT statements are uploaded (due date is June 30th, 2021)
- New call centre for taxpayer assistance for prompt response to taxpayer queries.
- Detailed FAQs, User Manuals, Videos and chatbot/live agent also provided;
- Functionalities for filing Income Tax Forms, Add tax professionals, Submit responses to Notices in Faceless Scrutiny or Appeals would be available.