During election time in India, we hear many opinions about the government that rules and how change is very necessary to set things right. But, many do not register their name in the electoral list or have a valid Voter ID Card. Many aren’t aware of the documents required to get a Voter ID.
What is a Voter ID Card?
A voter ID card, also known as “Voter Registration Card” or an “Election Card” is issued to an Indian citizen by the Election Commission of India which acts as a proof of his/her citizenship and allows them to cast their votes in this country. This photo identity card helps in improving the accuracy of the electoral roll and to help prevent cases of electoral fraud.
How to apply online for voter id?
The online registration process of a new Voter ID is very simple. All you have to do is go to the Election Commission of India (ECI) homepage, the official website for voter registration. The website has everything you would need to know about the election process in India, from electoral rolls to the election schedules for upcoming elections across the country. It also has a list of guidelines for voters and various application forms to register oneself. There are a number of forms, based on the service you wish to avail. These range from name change, the inclusion of name in electoral roll for citizens residing in India, as well as separate forms for those who live overseas and members of the armed forces, those in government service, etc. You would have to select the form for new voter registration, which is Form 6.
To find the form you have to select National Voters Service Portal on the homepage of ECI website. Under the “National Services” section, click on Apply online for new registration of voter.
Steps involved in new voter id online application:
In short, the steps involved in the online application process are as follows:
- Step 1 – Visit the official website of the Election Commission of India.
- Step 2 – Click on National Voters Services Portal.
- Step 3 – Click on “Apply online for registration of new voter”.
- Step 4 – Enter details and upload the required documents.
- Step 5 – Click on “Submit”.
Once you submit, you will receive an email on the email address that you have provided. This email will have a link to a personal Voter’s ID page. You will be able to track your voter ID application through this page, and you should receive your Voter ID card in a month from your application.
Documents Required to Apply For a Voter’s ID Card (Voter Registration):
To apply for a voter ID card online, you would require the following documents:
- One passport sized photograph
- Identity proof- this could be a birth certificate, passport, driving licence, PAN Card or high school mark sheet.
- Address proof- this could be either ration card, your passport, driving license or a utility bill (phone or electricity)
Benefits of applying for a Voter ID online?
There are several benefits of applying for a Voter ID card online. Listed below are the advantages of applying for a Voter ID card online:
- The applicant does not have to visit the electoral office and can apply for the Voter ID from the comfort of their house.
- The applicant can track the status of their Voter ID card online without any hassle.
- The applicant will receive timely updates in regard to the status of their Voter ID card.
- The process is much quicker when the application is made online.